A Spanish boat fishing licence is needed if you want to fish from a boat. The size of the boat doesn’t matter. Whether it is a small, medium, or large boat, for recreational fishing, you’ll need the licence. Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Only boats with Spanish flags, registered in Spain, and the EU: If you rent a boat with a Spanish flag, you’ll be fine. Fishing from small boats like kayaks, inflatable rafts, etc. is fine since they don’t have a flag.
- Fishing rules and limits: Getting a licence means that you will follow the rules of minimum sizes, maximum weight, protected zones, etc. of each area where you are going to fish. Please take some time to check what you’re allowed to fish, and what you aren’t, as well as the maximum amount of fish (in units, as well as in kilos). Different areas have slightly different rules.
Tourist Excursion Charter Boats: Do I need a Spanish Boat Fishing Licence?
If you plan to go for a fishing excursion, then you don’t need a Spanish boat fishing licence. The commercial excursion boats already have a collective licence, for all the people on board. For example, if the boat has a capacity for 15 tourists, each of them will be automatically included.
What Type of Boat Licence Do I Need?
Small boats (kayaks, inflatable rafts, etc.): Some areas of Spain, like the Balearics, will allow you to fish from a kayak with a shore fishing licence. Other areas, like the Canaries, also allow that, as long as the boat isn’t moving. If it is moving, it is considered “trolling” and you will need to get a boat fishing licence. So, it’s a good idea to decide what type of boat fishing you want to do, before ordering.
Bigger boats: Various autonomous governments of Spain issue a boat fishing licence with the boat documents. The main advantage of this is that it will cover everyone on board. This is great if you own the boat. If you rent a boat, you will have to ask the owner of the boat if it already has a boat fishing licence. Many owners who rent boats can be uncooperative. They don’t want to be responsible if you get into trouble (i.e. don’t follow the fishing rules), so they will tell you that they don’t have one. You will need to apply for this type of licence in person.
Personal boat licences are issued in the Canary Islands (where we are based). Each person who wants to fish from a boat will need a separate licence.
If you aren’t sure which type of licence you need, please contact us. We will be more than happy to help.
Documents Required to Get Your Fishing Licence at Fishing Offices
Getting a Spanish boat fishing licence is easy. Usually, it will be issued on the spot, if you go to any of the fishing offices that are located all around the country. This is what you need to take:
- Your passport, national identity card, or your Spanish residence card or NIE. A driver’s licence won’t do.
- Some cash to pay the fees.
- Boat documents: Authorities in certain Spanish regions will ask you about the size of your boat, so take those documents along. In the Balearics, if your boat is less than 6 meters long, you will pay less than if it is longer.
How to Order Your Spanish Boat Fishing Licence Online
If you would like to save the hassle of doing things yourself, our online service will allow you to save time, and concentrate on fishing. The Government of the Canary Islands issues our boat fishing licences. They allow you to fish along the Spanish coastline from boats that have the Spanish flag (registered in Spain), or small boats that require no registration (rubber rafts, kayaks, etc.). Licences are valid for 3 years. The licence will only allow the holder to fish from a boat. Each person who wants to fish will need a separate licence. After you place your order this is all that we need:
Passport, national identity card, or NIE (Spanish residence card).
Processing takes a couple of working days after you send us the above items. You will receive the licence by e-mail. All you have to do is to print it out.