A Spanish boat fishing licence is needed if you want to fish from a boat. The size of the boat doesn’t matter. Whether it is a small kayak, medium, or large boat, for recreational fishing, you’ll need the licence. Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Only boats with Spanish flags and registered in Spain: If you want to fish from a boat that is registered in another country, e.g. the UK, then the licence will NOT allow you to fish in Spanish waters. If you rent a boat with a Spanish flag, you’ll be fine. Fishing from small boats like kayaks, inflatable rafts, etc. is fine, since they don’t have a flag.
- Fishing rules and limits: Getting a licence means that you will follow the rules of minimum sizes, maximum weight, protected zones, etc. of each area where you are going to fish. Please take some time to check what you’re allowed to fish, and what you aren’t, as well as the maximum amount of fish (in units, as well as in kilos). Different areas have slightly different rules.
Tourist Excursion Charter Boats: Do I need a Spanish Boat Fishing Licence?
If you plan to go for a fishing excursion, then you don’t need a Spanish boat fishing licence. The commercial excursion boats already have a collective licence, for all the people on board. For example, if the boat has a capacity for 15 tourists, each of them will be automatically included.
Documents Required to Get Your Fishing Licence at Fishing Offices
Getting a Spanish boat fishing licence is easy. Usually it will be issued on the spot, if you go to any of the fishing offices that are located all around the country. This is what you need to take:
- Your passport or national identity card. Driver’s licences aren’t accepted.
- Some cash to pay the fees.
- Boat documents: Some regions will ask you about the size of your boat, so take that those documents also. Depending on the size of the boat, you will be charged one fee, or another.
Documents Required to Get Your Fishing Licence Online
If you would like to save the hassle of doing things yourself, our online service will allow you save time, and concentrate on fishing. Our boat fishing licences are issued by the Government of the Canary Islands. They allow you fish along the Spanish coastline from boats that have the Spanish flag (registered in Spain), or small boats that require no registration (rubber rafts, kayaks, etc.). Licences are valid for 3 years. After you place your order this is all what we need:
- Passport or national identity card copy
- Simple signed authorization allowing us to do all the paperwork on your behalf (in Spanish) – We will send it to you after you order.
Processing takes a couple of working days after above documents are received. Click here to place your order